Sunday, August 22, 2010

Worst race ever

Mon: 40 mins easy aquajogging
Tue: Day off
Wed: 1 hr in pool with pyramid workout to 80secs
Thu: 8 miles, 54:08
Fri: 6 miles w/ 3 x ~200m strides, 41:24
Sat: 3 mile w/u, 10 mile race, 5.5 mile c/d
Sun: 6.25 miles, no time.

Total: 4 runs, 38.75 miles

Couldn't bring myself to blog about the race for a few days as I stank the place out. Went into the race with the realistic goal of PR'ing (56:12) and the optimistic goal of breaking 55 mins. The PR was set during the first 10 miles of the half 'thon I ran last year and workouts etc have been going similar bar the few days in the pool. I also knew based on the race last year (22nd in 57:31) and from the 5 miler in July that those times would put me in the top 20. Got off the line well but after about 400 yards I was trying to settle into my pace but just had wave after wave of people pass me and was thrown a little by it. Couldn't settle as I kept trying to latch onto groups but nothing doing. Legs felt flat from the get-go and guys were just going away from me. Hit the mile in 5:14 which is about where I'd planned on being so tried to calm down and tell myself they'd come back to me later. Was still having a hard time getting into my running though. Ran the 2nd mile mark in 5:38, so tried to pick up the tempo slightly to get onto 5:30s but could tell I was on for a rough day. Missed the 3 mile mark due to some fat dude blocking the sign, but hit the 4 mile with an 11:37 for the previous 2 miles. It was into the wind for the 4th mile, but ouch. Not good and struggling at this point. Right around this point a group came up on me so made sure to just latch on and tuck in. Managed to stay with them for the 5th mile in 5:35 giving me a half way split of 28:07. I told myself that if I got a 2nd wind etc that a PR at least was still on but was dropped from the group around this point and basically knew I was lying to myself. I held it together for a 5:36 on the 6th mile which was a gradual downhill but around 6.5 we hit the hills and I was done. 5:56 for the 7th mile, 5:54 for the 8th, and 5:56 for 9 and 10 and a finishing time of 57:30. Not pretty.

I've had a hard time putting my finger on where it went wrong. Given the legs felt dead from the get-go I think the resistance of the water in the pool may have fatigued the legs more than I thought. Additionally I was out maybe 10 seconds too quick over the first mile due to panicking slightly about the numbers that passed me early on instead of running my own race; this on top of the fact that I didn't feel good led to me gassing it on the 2nd half. On the brightside, even when totally spent on the last 4 miles I was able to run marathon pace, so I at least somewhat created a feeling no doubt similar to what the last 6 is going to feel like in October. Also my interpretation of where I should have been was correct. The guy who finished one place behind me in the 5 mile race in July finished 20th in 56:09. So on a better day I know where I'm at.

The shins have been ok since. I've been working them and the left has improved a lot. Since this is the one I had most of the stress fractures in I'm happy about this, but the right needs a lot of work as it's still pretty tight. But overall I'm happy enough to get back into running normally again this week. Just need to get some life back in the legs and stay focused on the goal for October.

No comments: