Monday, December 1, 2008

Goddam it I am good sometimes

Now I'm not one for tooting my own horn, but goddam it I am good sometimes. Calf trouble, no problem. Alright, what the hell am I talking about? Well, despite having 2 reasonably good days running despite the problems with my calf, they were in a controlled setting where I could stop at the first sign of trouble. But back in Dublin today all my runs are either out and backs or loops, so if I did have a problem I was going to be in similar trouble to last Thursday. So I did something I don't think I've ever done before. Yes people, I showed RESTRAINT (I even had to look up the word in the dictionary for the spelling). Instead of risking it, I decided to hit the gym and get on the bike. Now I am no fan of the bike, in fact I friggin hate the thing, but got a certain sense of satisfaction from knowing that I was doing the sensible thing.

After a more enjoyable than expected ride (not that kind), I had something of an epiphany. Recalling that one of the ongoing studies in Physiology at the minute is involved cryo-therapy in post-exercise recovery (most of the titles are these kind of mouthfuls), I arranged for myself to have a whirlpool. Probably the first time in about 3 years in fact. And are my legs grateful, right now I feel 100 times better than after any day off could have done. It wasn't all fun and games though, as daweeman's wee man seems to have gone into hiding since. Sitting in it was maybe a little unnecessary. 

No comments: